My Headlines

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner

Here are my demos for the foodnetwork

Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Allow Me to Introduce my friend and how he deals with his weight.




Allow Me to Introduce Myself

Allow me introduce myself, my name is Brenton but my boys call me B-Roll.
Anyway what’s important about my story is that you will find real life, straight up truth about the struggle with weight loss. My story is one like many people who have struggled with being overweight or obese all their lives. The first thing you need to know is that everyone struggles with something. No matter how “perfect” the outside package may appear, a person could be struggling with huge demons on the inside. For those of us who are overweight and/or obese the outward signs of our struggle are just more visible.

The first battle is our psychological approach to eating and food in general. I am not a trained psychologist or therapist so I’m not diagnosing us but I can tell you I LOVE to eat. In my mind I associate food with celebration. When you want to get to know someone, what better way to get closer to them than to invite them to lunch or dinner? When you want to spend quality time with your spouse or significant other, what’s nicer than a surprise candle lit dinner? Going out with your boys, girls, old high school or college friends, family reunions, weddings, football games, you get the idea that usually gatherings of celebration include food. Food choices however are where I fall short. Not just at the celebrating times but also during the times where time is at a minimum and you have to hurry. As everyone knows there is no shortage of quick meal, high calorie, low quality fast-food joint to get a quick hit-it and quit-it meal for you and your family. By my estimation by age 40 I have purchased 10 McDonalds, 5 Burger Kings and Wendy’s and a couple of KFC’s. By the time I had reached the age of 33 I weighed 600 pounds! I am happy to say that now at age 40 and gastric by pass surgery I have lost 300 pounds and I’m struggling everyday to get to my goal weight of 225 pounds. I have never done drugs or had a drinking problem but I can only imagine what it’s like to have that “monkey” on your back. My monkey just likes cheeseburgers and cookies. When you go to the grocery store or to a restaurant you are faced with choices that you must be cognizant of their future affects. Coffee ice cream today could equal 5 pounds and an escalated cholesterol count in the future.

At this stage in my life where my body is beginning to slow down it’s metabolic rate without my permission I am beginning to make friends with words that were previously excluded from my working vocabulary. Terms like moderation and portion control which previously had demonic connotations are now more palatable. I still do not accept the word “diet” mostly because the first three letters are DIE, and that’s just like what it seems like you’re doing when that’s the word that is the prevailing guideline when it comes to your food choices. My journey and my battle are lifelong as is your struggle if you are trying to become and remain fit. I’ll do my best to tell you my real struggles, set backs and triumphs. I’m not over it, I’m living through it and this blog is a part of my therapy. If you can gain strength from it then I have served to wonderful purposes.

So finally, here’s the “skinny” you continue to check in on me here at my boy John Oliver’s blog site and I’ll keep bringing you the real life struggle of my battle with weight loss and hopefully we can conquer our challenges together. You can reach me at my email address brolle14@yahoo.com if you have any questions or comments or if you would like me to address any topics related to fad diets, pills, shots or issues of any kind.
No battle that’s worth fighting is ever conquered in a day but can be won day by day.

Till next time,

I’m Out!

B-Roll





Your Ad Here

No comments: